Thursday, August 7, 2008

Sunday Evening at The Salvation Army - Penge Corps

A couple of notes before I share this story -
  1. You should be able to click on any photo to see a larger image.

  2. Saturday night, we went to the Prince Edward Theatre in west London to see The Jersey Boys - the story of Franke Valle and The Four Seasons (and their music). I've never enjoyed a night of entertainment more. It's a must see, especially if you grew up in the 60s.
On last Sunday night, I had arranged for Sandy and me to attend the evening service at the Penge Corps of The Salvation Army in south London. For more insight into "Why Penge?", see my previous blog "Family History in London."

My maternal grandmother, Violet Henderson Cox, wrote about her childhood in 1912 at the age of 17, and she said this:

"In 1901, my family removed to Sydenham, a suburb of London. My first recollections are of companions and games, and happy days spent in a private school.

At the age of eight, I remember coming in contact with The Salvation Army for the first time, at Penge Corps. Although so young, it made a very great impression on my mind. It seemed that I could understand the ways and methods of the Army, better than any other organization. Although so young, I had my juvenile opinions as to religion etc, and always having great desire, in my childish way, to be good. At once a great love for the Army and its people seized me, with a corresponding desire and longing to be good, as I grew older.

At the early age of nine years, in a crowded Army meeting, on the 23rd of October 1904, when the invitation was given, I went right to the Penitent Form, where I know I was pardoned of my sins. From that time onward I felt that I belonged to the Army, and there was my place. While I have had many struggles, as only any young convert has, yet I have realized more and more that the hand of God has been upon me, and He has been showing Himself to me more and more each year."

Amazingly, we found that in Penge, the Army still operates in the same building in which Violet and her mother, Emma worshipped. The interior of the citadel has of course been modernized; however, it is clearly recognizable from old photographs that I examined. Even more amazing, the original Penitent Form remains at the front of the citadel, the very "Mercy Seat" where young Violet knelt in 1904.






Click on picture to read this inscription


The Penitent Form at Penge.

For those not familiar with Salvation Army terminology, other protestants would think of The Penitent Form as the alter. For Salvationists, it is at the Penitent Form that one finds forgiveness for you sins and the gift of Salvation. It is also known as the "Mercy Seat." All Army citadels have a Penitent Form.

It was a lovely service lead by Majors Ken & Anne Hawkins. From the program of service for the day, I found that in the morning service, they had used my grandfather's song, "God's Love Is Wonderful" - another thrill to see his music still being used. Of course, Violet Henderson married Sidney Cox in 1915 in Winnipeg, Canada.

No comments: